Wednesday, September 2, 2009

my dream dog











my dream dog :)


My dream dog is a chocolate brown or "red" doberman pinscher. About a year and a half ago, I met one named Rhett. He was a puppy at the time, his owners had just docked his ears and he was the cutest thing ever!! Such a playful and fun little guy. Then about six months later he had grown up to be a huge puppy! I fell in love with the doberman pinscher breed the first night that I met Rhett. Since then I have met another...she is the sweetest dog one will ever meet.

Now I'm sure you are asking "A doberman pinscher? Sweet? Aren't they always the scary guard dogs in movies? Or aren't they the ones that are well known for being viscious?"

Well, I was also a little worried about that as well so I have done some research...

According to Wikipedia, Doberman Pinschers are among the most common of pet breeds, and the breed is well known as an intelligent, alert and loyal companion dog. They are the target of a mistaken stereotype of ferocity and agression. As a personal protection dog, the Doberman was originally bred for these traits: it had to be large intimidating, fearless and willing to defend its owner, but sufficiently obedient and restrained to only do so on command. Although these dogs are mistaken for their agression, they are extremely loyal. They can easily learn to 'Respect and Protect' their owners. In response, they are excellent guard dogs that protect the ones they love.

According to a study conducted by the Center for Disease Control and Prevention, one of the most important factors contributing to dog bites are related to the level of responsibility exercised by dog owners.

Also...according to Dogbreedinfo.com, the doberman is; versatile, highly intelligent and very easy to train. They are also determined, fearless, and assertive, but not vicious. They are noble, loyal and affectionate with the fmaily. It likes to be close to the family members...this is a very people oriented breed. Generally a dominant breed, the temperament of the doberman will vary greatly depending on how well the owners understand canine behavior. Some are even very submissive. Some individuals are family dogs, and some bond only to one person. The doberman has been bred to work with man, and he needs this interaction often. They must be with family and not abandoned to the backyard.

So, there you have it. They really are great dogs!! :)
My most recent doberman friend's owner informed me that it really depends on how the dog is raised and how they are socialized. So it really is up to the owner and how they will raise/train the dog. I am still doing plenty of research into this fascinating animal and it will be a while before I can have one for my own...but I wanted to share this news with my blogging friends! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment